MIDDLETON, Wis., Oct. 18, 2016 -- American Girl has something special for every girl's holiday wish list—from newly released dolls that inspire girls to lift their voices and be a good friend to new movie specials, advice books, construction sets, and cooking kits that are sure to engage and entertain all season long!
Fostering harmony and joy this holiday season is Melody Ellison, American Girl's newest historical character growing up in 1960s Detroit during the civil rights movement. A budding singer filled with hope and enthusiasm, Melody encourages girls everywhere to sing out for positive change. Melody's collection includes a series of stories, an 18-inch Melody doll and many accessories that help bridge the past and present for girls. Top holiday picks include Melody's Motown-inspired Recording Studio, where girls can record their own vocals to exclusive tracks, and an Electric Piano that plays organ, piano and electric piano styles.
New for Melody this holiday is the release of the first Amazon Original Special An American Girl Story—Melody 1963: Love Has to Win premieringFriday, October 21 on Prime Video in the US and UK. The first of four American Girl Original Specials for Prime Video stars Marsai Martin (Black-ish) as the title character Melody and Idara Victor (TURN: Washington's Spies) as Melody's mother Frances Ellison. The Melody Special is an Amazon adaptation of American Girl's Melody character and inspirational stories. Amazon and American Girl have also collaborated to feature a wide selection of Melody products in the American Girl brand store at Amazon: www.amazon.com/americangirl.
An American Girl Story—Melody 1963: Love Has to Win will be available for Prime members using the Amazon Video app for TVs, connected devices including Fire TV and mobile devices, or online at Amazon.com/originals.
Making a splash this year in their very own rain boots are American Girl's new WellieWishers—Willa, Kendall, Ashlyn, Emerson, and Camille. With a focus on kindness and empathy, the WellieWishers help younger girls ages 5-7 understand what it means to "stand in another person's wellies."
The WellieWishers' world comes to life with 14½-inch character dolls (retail $60) and whimsical, garden-themed accessories, such as the Love and Caring Carriage, Flutter Wings Doll Carrier, and WellieWishers Playhouse, that offer hours of imaginative play.
New to the line this fall are the first three WellieWishers books—The Riddle of the Robin, Ashlyn's Unsurprise Party, and the Muddily-Puddily Show—written with humor and heart by beloved American Girl author Valerie Tripp. The WellieWishers' adventures and lessons further unfold in American Girl's first-ever animated series available exclusively on Amazon Prime Video. The first episode of the WellieWishers' series is currently available for free to all Amazon customers through the Amazon Video app on TVs, connected devices, mobile devices or online.
2016 Girl of the Year - Lea Clark
Only available until December 31 or while supplies last, the 2016 Girl of the Year, Lea Clark, is sure to thrill adventure-loving girls everywhere! Lea, a talented photographer with a love for animals, discovers a wide world of possibilities when she embarks on a faraway adventure to Brazil. Her collection includes an 18-inch Lea doll and book series, plus numerous tropical-inspired accessories, like Lea's Ocean Kayak Set, as well asclothes for girls and dolls.
For a fun holiday night at home, girls can watch An American Girl: Lea to the Rescue, American Girl's first-ever action-adventure film set to airNovember 23, 2016 on Disney Channel. In the thrilling sequel to the original book series, Lea must face her fears as she travels deep into the Brazilian rainforest to solve the mystery of her missing brother.
American Girl Holiday Gifts Under $50
Bringing even more joy to girls across the country, American Girl is sharing top selections in a variety of categories and price ranges.
Mega Bloks® for American Girl
- Isabelle's Ballet Recital ($39.99): Girls can help Isabelle put on the perfect performance with this set that includes Isabelle and Luisa mini figures, a buildable ballet studio, a main stage with spinning floor, and a rehearsal area with real fabric details.
- Nicki's Horse Stables ($29.99): Nicki appreciates the great outdoors, and now girls can, too, by building her stable and a jump for her horse Jackson.
- Saige's Art Studio ($19.99): Girls can paint a masterpiece like Saige, with this buildable art studio with artist's easel, paint table, and real fabric details.
- American Girl Cooking ($19.95): Girls can bake some holiday traditions by trying one (or more!) of the 40 different recipes featured in this new cookbook from American Girl and Williams-Sonoma®. The book includes easy-to-follow instructions, helpful tips, and color photos.
- Spatulas and Pancake Kit ($9.95 and $39.95): Girls will flip for these new utensils perfect for whipping up a breakfast buffet or a special snack.
- Apron & Mitt for Girls and Dolls ($29.95 and $19.95): Together-time in the kitchen can be extra special with these matching apron and mitt sets for girls and dolls.
Smart Advice for Girls
- Both parents and girls have come to love and trust the American Girl advice library. This holiday season, they're offering new options like A Smart Girl's Guide: Worry, School Rules!: Math and A Year of Slumber Parties.
- For more advice, tips, crafts and more, subscribe for a year's worth of fun through American Girl® magazine on the American Girlwebsite.
Parents capturing the spirit of the season are encouraged to share on social media channels tagging photos and videos with #Joy2EveryGirl. To learn more, visit www.americangirl.com, or find the brand on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. To request a free American Girl catalogue, call 1-800-845-0005.
ABOUT AMERICAN GIRL
American Girl is a premium brand for girls and a wholly owned subsidiary of Mattel, Inc. (NASDAQ:MAT, www.mattel.com), a creations company that inspires the wonder of childhood. Headquartered in Middleton, WI, American Girl offers an inspiring world of dolls, content, and experiences that nourish a girl's spirit and help develop her strength of character. Best-selling lines include Truly Me™, Girl of the Year™, Bitty Baby™, WellieWishers™, and the classic historical character line BeForever™. The company sells products through its award-winning catalogue, onamericangirl.com, and in its experiential U.S. retail stores. By inspiring girls to be their best, American Girl has earned the loyalty of millions and the praise and trust of parents and educators.